Injuring your ankle is an unfortunate accident, but ignoring it can lead to lifelong problems which you don’t want. Despite the excruciating pain, the practical thing to do next after getting your ankle injured is to seek treatment immediately. Now, there are lots of things you can do to get your ankle back into shape, but the most important one is finding a good ankle rehab program that works.
Here are some exercises to include in your program, which when properly followed will enable you to be back on your feet again – without that limp.
Writing the alphabet using your feet
To do this, you have to sit on a chair and elevate your ankle in the air. You then write the entire alphabet using your feet. Now, why would this work? Doing all 26 letters of the alphabet gets every muscle around your ankle working. However, keep in mind to take things slowly so you don’t cause further damage. Since it will be painful to perform these, make it a habit to do it partially but frequently.
You will need a belt or any kind of rope and a light dumbbell to do this exercise. Here’s what you need to do:
- Tie the belt around both ends of the dumbbell. Do this in a way that allows you to form a triangle when you hold the belt by its center.
- Sit on a chair then put your foot through the triangle. The rope should sit right in the middle of your foot, just below your toes.
- The exercise is then performed by repeatedly lowering your foot with the weight of the dumbbell.
You will need a long rope or a jump rope for this. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Sit on a chair then slide the rope under your foot.
- Pull the rope to the left but turn your ankle against the force by turning it the opposite way. Do the same when you pull the rope to the right.
- Do this repeatedly.
Performing exercises like the ones listed above will slowly and gradually get your ankle back into the best condition.